Define the middle range theory and the purpose of the selected middle range theory.
Assignment 2: Middle Range Nursing Theorist Paper (25 points)
Theories are patterns that guide the thinking about, being, and doing of nursing. Theories provide structure to nursing practice and research. Theories
guide nursing practice, stimulate creative thinking, facilitate communication, and at the same time clarify purposes. A metaparadigm is a global concept
of a disciple that identifies the primary phenomena of interest to that discipline. In nursing, the dominate phenomena within the science of nursing
revolves around the concepts of humans, health, environment and nursing.
For this assignment select a middle range theory from the list provided in the Canvas module Week 8 or select one with approval of course instructor.
Using this theory, develop a scholarly paper that includes the following criteria:
1. Define the middle range theory and the purpose of the selected middle range theory.
2. Define and discuss the nursing metaparadigm within the context of the selected middle range theory.
a. Explain how the theorist employs and defines each of the four concepts that comprise the nursing metaparadigm within the
selected middle range theory
3. Explain the importance of the selected middle range theory in nursing practice.
a. provide and discuss two examples of use of the selected middle-range theory from current practice
4. The scholarly paper should be 4-5 pages excluding the title and reference pages.
5. Include level 1 and level 2 headings.
6. The paper should begin with an introductory paragraph that includes the purpose statement. The introductory paragraph and purpose
statement allow the reader to understand what the paper/assignment is going to address.
7. The paper should include a conclusion.
8. Write the paper in third person, not first person (meaning do not use ‘we’ or ‘I’).
9. Include a minimum of three references from professional peer-reviewed nursing journals (review in Ulrich Periodical Directory) to
support the paper. ***Historical references may be used as appropriate. (Definition of historical reference: reference to a well-
known person, place event or literary work that adds meaning to the paper.)
10. APA format is required (attention to spelling/grammar, a title page, a reference page, and in-text citations).
11. Submit the assignment to Turnitin Direct prior to the final submission to Canvas
12. Review the originality report and make any needed changes prior to submitting.
13. Submit to Canvas by the posted due date.
Content questions to address each section of Assignment 2: Middle Range Nursing Theorist Paper
ntroduction to the paper with purpose statement – Include an overview about middle range theories in general, name theory this
paper evaluates, and state the purpose of the paper
Level 1 Heading Level 2 Headings
Activities and Assignments
Theory definition Using the text as benchmark, explain the major concepts and propositions of the theoryName the Middle
Range Theory Theory purpose Using the text as benchmark, explain the purpose of the middle range theory
Person Using the text as benchmark, explain if and how the theorist defines and operationalizes
the concept: Person
Health Using the text as benchmark, explain if and how the theorist defines and operationalizes
the concept: Health
Environment Using the text as benchmark, explain if and how the theorist defines and operationalizes
the concept: Environment
(Introduce the concept
of the metaparadigm)
Nurse Using the text as benchmark, explain if and how the theorist defines and operationalizes
the concept: Nurse
Name example 1 Demonstrate an example from the literature or from practice experience where the
theory is applicable and useful.Application of the
theory to practice Name example 2 Demonstrate an example from the literature or from practice experience where the
theory is applicable and useful.
Conclusion Summarize the meaning, usefulness, and applicability of the theory to nursing