Explain how the selected theory can explain delinquency, as well as help us to understand possible deterrent and prevention methods for juveniles.
(1) Discuss criminological theory. What is it? Why is it important (5 points)
(2) Select one theory examined this week in Schmalleger and/or other provided resources
and discuss the main points of the selected theory. (10 points)
(3) Explain how the selected theory can explain delinquency, as well as help us to
understand possible deterrent and prevention methods for juveniles. (10 points)
(1) Select a recent (i.e., within the last year) article that covers a juvenile crime from an
online news source. Provide a brief summary of the crime/case, while providing enough
background and context. (10 points)
(2) Apply one theory that explains the juvenile crime discussed in the article. Note that the
theory applied cannot be the theory discussed in Part I. When applying the theory,
provide a descriiption of it, then integrate facts from the article to support your
argument. (15 points)
Paper should be at least three (3) full pages or more. Provide page numbers.
Title and Reference page are needed, but do not count towards page length.
Page numbers, 12-point pitch font that is easy to read (i.e., Times New Roman, Arial,
Standard essay format that includes an introduction and conclusion.
Proofread your work for clarity, grammar, punctuation spelling, sentence structure,
and organization. Points can be lost for not addressing the assignment tasks and
requirements, as well as technical errors, issues with clarity, etc.
Use at least 2 sources to complete the assignment. One must be your news article
and the other can be your textbook. Feel free to use other scholarly sources for
discussion of criminological theory.