List the main topics and terms from your PICOT question that you can use to search.
PICOT Worksheet and Search Strategy Form
1) Complete items A through E on this form before you conduct your systematic
search for evidence.
2) Do a systematic search for evidence to answer your PICOT Question.
3) Compete item F on this form: checking off the databases you searched.
4) Complete item G: A summary and critique of each of the 3 pieces of
5) Complete item a Reflection about your search for evidence.
6) Upload your PICOT Worksheet and Search Strategy Form to the
Assignments tab on Canvas.
A. Define your question using PICOT: Population, Intervention, Comparison, Outcome,
B. Write out your PICOT question using Fineout-Overholt’s template for
In_________________________(P), how does__________________________(I) compared to
_________________________(C) affect____________________(O) within________________(T)
C. List the main topics and terms from your PICOT question that you can use to
This form is adapted from: Syrene A. Miller, PICO Worksheet and Search Strategy, National Center for Dental Hygiene
D. Check any limit that may pertain to your search:
__ Age __ Language __ Year of
E. Type of study/publication you want to include in your search: (From
Step 2 of tutorial)
__ Systematic Review or Meta-Analysis
__ Clinical Practice Guidelines
__ Critically Appraised Research Studies
__ Individual Research Studies
__ Electronic Textbooks
F. Check the databases you searched: (links to all of these resources can
be found at:
http://web.usfca.edu/Library/handouts/Evidence_Based_Nursing/ (Select a
minimum of 5 databases—lots of other databases can be found on the
USF Gleeson Library website by subject:
https://www.usfca.edu/library/databases-by-subject or a to z:
__ Cochrane/ DARE
__ Joanna Briggs
__ Guidelines Clearinghouse
__ ACP Journal Club
__ Evidence-Based Journals
__ AHRQ Evidence Reports
G. Write a Summary for your 3 strongest pieces of Evidence: Include the
Purpose of Article or Review:
Purpose of Article or Review