What does the text suggest about social organization in Arabia, and the ways that one person or community perceived of another?
“Mukhayriq is the Best of the Jews” (JAL, p. 121)
“The Affair of the Banu Qaynuqaʾ” (JAL, pp. 122-123
The first essay is an exercise in close reading. Please choose ONE of the texts listed above and explain what the text that you have selected reveals about relations between Jews and Muslims in the early Islamic period.
The following points are intended to help focus your writing and analysis:
• Explain the historical context of the document and the particular events that it describes.
• What does the text suggest about social organization in Arabia, and the ways that one person or community perceived of another?
• What is known about the authorship of the source you have chosen?
• What perspective(s) does the text advance?
• What are its central concerns?
• What are its limitations?
You may wish to refer to your lecture notes or the first chapter of JAL, but your focus should be a close textual and historical analysis of the primary source document that you have selected.
Please consult the Rubric. If you have any questions, please ask them!
This essay must have a title. It must be 3-4 pages long, typed, double-spaced, in Times New Roman 12-point font. Your name must be on the first page.